Paws Up, Get Ready, Play, Run and Laugh Like a Dog

As I settled my canine crew, and poised my fingers over the keyboard at my computer to start writing this first installment article, my mind whirled with all of the limitless possibilities of topics near and dear to my heart to share as your virtual web-sourced resource.  I wrote the overall goal of this endeavor and tacked it to the wall to ensure I never lose site of our aim and began to let my fingers fly.
My Goal For You and Your Dogs
Get_Ready
My intent is to share training tips, experience, philosophy and positive method training strategies with you in our little forum focused on helping you all enjoy the enriching relationship with your dogs possible through positive methods.
Then, the little ‘wise’ inner voice that sometimes chirps in my head reminded me to temper my excitement and first introduce myself to you before I begin waxing on with all the topics I am delighted to have the opportunity to now bring to this forum.  As you are now sitting and are reading this first installment, please know, like you, I started with reading internet articles very similar to the ones I will be sharing with you over the days to come that have led me into a world of wonder and fun that I now call home in Canine Performance and Training.
My Story
That journey started 14 years ago, even though I have always had dogs in my life since childhood.  The real story began with my first dog as an adult, adopted the month after my husband and I signed the mortgage on our first house.  The little, six month old shepherd mix we took in was shattered, fearful and terrified and was in need of help beyond the little ‘dog’ knowledge I had at the time.  As we so often do now, I turned to the internet.
My first web searches returned results that all pointed to Agility as a way to restore confidence in a dog.  I then, found a local trainer, visited a class, and ever so reluctantly signed up for my first class.  In those past years, I was as nervous as my dog of being in public, speaking in public or doing anything in public that would put me in the public view.
Fast forward now a decade plus a little bit and you have me today; a sanctioned agility judge, experienced certified private trainer, hopeless agility and performance addict, and above all, a devoted ‘dog’ mom.
My Most Important Lesson
The most important thing I have learned from dogs is how to have serious fun chasing what I want, to enjoy learning and never stop, and above all to play as a part of daily life for at least 10 minutes minimum.
Learn From Your Dog
As human adults, we seem to somehow lose the ability to really play as life begins to make even normal demands on us as progressions in our own maturity develop.  We tend to overcomplicate our lives at times and forget how playing restores our energy and capacity to deal with the world.
Watch dogs at play at all ages and you’ll see how the truth in this statement takes form and understand why I approach training the way that I do.  You will quickly begin to see the benefits to training in a very unconventional way.
My 9 year old Border Collie at play has the exact same characteristics as my nearly 4 month old Mini Australian Shepherd at play.  The body of an adult athletic canine obviously moves much differently than that of a ‘baby’ dog, however, the enthusiasm for play is no different.  The ‘joy’ of the game is identical and this is true of all canines.
I believe it is their secret to living a happy life no matter what their job; be it working dog, house dog, or competition dog.  I have been lucky enough to learn this lesson and apply it in training and have found success beyond my expectations in mastering it.
Previous
Next Post »